Saturday, November 6, 2010

Halloween

This is a little late, but better late than never right? Right!

I was asked to make a "scary" jack-o-lantern cake that should look "somewhat real" for a halloween party. Of course if you know me, having never made anything like this before it sounded like quite the challenge, and like it would also be super fun... plus halloween is like my favorite time of year! Cake + halloween = awesomeness!
Now, I think I say this a lot... which means either 1) I must be having more and more fun with each cake I do or 2) I am getting better with each cake (I think it's a little bit of both) but this was by far the coolest cake cake I think I have ever done. Also each step of the process got me more and more excited to see the finished product, I had a lot of fun doing this one! Although it was several days of long hours and late nights it was SO worth it!

Seriously, this is cool.... right?



It was made up of 5 layers of cake: pumpkin cake layered with cinnamon infused cream cheese frosting; then a chocolate stout cake layered with baileys irish cream buttercream; and last a hazelnut cake with chocolate & whisky fudge frosting.
The fondant is home-made. I decided the best route for covering the cake in fondant would be to cut out measured pieces and layer them on one-by-one, it was a long process but I think overall in the end gave it that pumpkin look I was looking for.
I layered one section (the part where the face would end up) of the orange fondant over a thin layer of black fondant I had put on first. I then carved the eyes, nose and mouth out of the orange fondant to reveal the black below, just like a real pumpkin (sort of)!
The stem is made from fondant I colored a very light green while it was still in the liquid state, then once I shaped it and put the lines in I colored it using a dry brush technique with dark green and brown gel-paste food coloring. I also used the dry brush technique on the pumpkin, by adding shading between each layer to give it some depth and dimension. 

Here are a few photo's of the process:










1 comment:

  1. I love this cake! Kenley and I are looking at these pictures together, and she keeps asking "Mama, can you make that for me?" You are such a pro! :)

    ReplyDelete